About Me

My photo
I'm a C# developer and that takes up most of my time but when I'm not in front of the computer, I do a lot of mountain biking, skiing and spending time with my dog. When I'm not doing any of that stuff, I'm spending time with my lovely wife.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Getting my PS3 Controller to work on Vista X64

So I bought Gears of War for the PC yesterday and I fired it up, assuming that my PS3 controller would work since it was working nicely on XP pro, but to my surprise, nothing was happening!

After some extensive searching, it turns out that the drivers to make the PS3 Controller work only work on 32 bit OS's.  I just came up with a brainstorm and am excited to try it out.  I have a feeling none of these user made drivers work because Vista X64 drivers MUST be signed and the drivers are probably not signed.

One way to get around this is to turn driver signing checking off on startup (Just hit F8 when your machine boots).  Once that is off, I'll try the drivers again.  Maybe it will work this time...

If this doesn't work, I'm tempted to try and create a driver myself.  To be honest, I'm a litte afraid of such a task because my C++ kung-fu is not strong.  If my original workaround doesn't work, maybe I'll download the SDK's and what-not and see what happens.  I will keep you posted on the results.

1 comment:

//Rob said...

Yeah, that didn't work at all...